Get Inspired: How This Dropshipper Moved from Offline Retail to Dropshipping
BrandsGateway’s network of dropshippers and wholesale buyers is expanding at a fast pace, and we are enthusiastic about sharing their stories filled with experiences and lessons learned to those looking at pursuing a dropshipping business.
This success story is dedicated to a dropshipper who joined BrandsGateway’s network of dropshippers in 2020, prior to the pandemic taking hold across the globe. We asked this dropshipper about the decision to start a dropshipping business, more specifically for selling branded apparel and accessories supplied by BrandsGateway, about his challenges and plans for the future.
1. Could you tell us more about yourself and your dropshipping business? Were you pursuing a different career path before this? What made you decide to get into the dropshipping industry in the first place?
I started my company in France approximately one year ago. With a bit of money and through contacts I have in Italy, I decided to buy clothes stocks. At first, I started an offline retail business but unfortunately, because of Covid-19, I didn’t have much success, as people were quickly turning to online shopping. Then I moved to Italy and started selling to Switzerland but very soon another lockdown was imposed and the borders between the two countries were closed for 6 months. This is when I decided to dedicate myself to starting an online business, so I turned to the dropshipping model.
“The profits you can get from selling items from non-luxury brands are significantly lower, in comparison to those from selling luxury products.“
2. From your point of view, how much investment one needs to get started with dropshipping?
I believe anyone can start a dropshipping business with approximately 2,000€, maybe even less, and I have to emphasize that with this money, one can pay their supplier’s fee, create a website, and start advertising which, undoubtedly, is a low investment for starting a business.
3. Why did you decide to focus specifically on the luxury fashion niche? What advantages does it bring?
In the beginning, I started with another dropshipping supplier that was focused on brands that aren’t in the luxury group, including Napapirji, Tommy Hilfiger, and Calvin Klein. It was going well but the profits you can get from selling items from such brands are significantly lower, in comparison to those from selling luxury products. This is the reason why I made the decision to change my dropshipping supplier and look for one that has luxury fashion items in its portfolio.
4. Where did you get familiar with BrandsGateway, and what made you decide that we are the right fit for you? In your opinion, what are some of the most important characteristics to look for when selecting a supplier?
I came across BrandsGateway online when I made my mind to change the dropshipping supplier I was working with. I read the positive reviews on Trustpilot so I decided to try your service for at least 3 months. When selecting a potential supplier, in my opinion, the most important traits to look for are the portfolio of products, the customer service, and the delivery time. Fortunately, BrandsGateway has all of them!
“I’m thrilled with BrandsGateway’s service and your customer support, the entire team is very professional, there is no doubt about it!“
5. Based on our collaboration so far, how would you describe your experience with us? Are you satisfied with the services we provide? What makes us stand out from other suppliers?
I can say that until now I’m thrilled with BrandsGateway’s service and your customer support, the entire team is very professional, there is no doubt about it! Moreover, the prices of the products you are selling are the best compared to other suppliers on the market.
6. Tell us about your experience with the brands and products that we have in our catalog. What have you been selling most and on which platforms?
The products that I sell the most are from Dolce & Gabbana – jewels, and shoes. People love it when they find luxury items that are rare and exclusive too, they make them feel unique. At the moment, I’m selling on platforms like Amazon and some other similar marketplaces.
“People love it when they find luxury items that are rare and exclusive too, they make them feel unique.“
7. How are the products that BrandsGateway has in its portfolio received by your customers?
Until now, all the products that my customers received make them happy and I have only good feedback on the products’ quality and prices too.
8. What would you say are the biggest advantages and challenges in running a dropshipping business?
The biggest advantage of dropshipping is that you can work from wherever you want, you just need an internet connection, while the biggest disadvantage may be that the products are selling fast and, sometimes, when a customer is in the middle of an order, they aren’t available anymore. However, if we have to compare the advantages and the one disadvantage I mentioned, it is the advantages that win the battle!
“Dropshipping is the future. When you have an online business, you are literally selling even when you are sleeping.“
9. How do you promote the products that you sell and what countries are your target?
My target audiences are all over the world with no exceptions. At the moment, I’m mostly focused on selling on marketplaces, and I don’t have any special campaigns for promotion.
10. As a beginner dropshipper, what would be your advice to everyone looking into starting a dropshipping business? Share a lesson that you have learned, something that you would like to share with our blog’s readers.
My advice to someone who is looking to start a career in dropshipping is to not hesitate because dropshipping is the future. The investment is very small compared to running an offline retail business and there are many advantages, for one, you don’t need to have any stocks or products with you, and, second, when you have an online business, you are literally selling even when you are sleeping.
I remember my first good sale, it was in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and I woke up and saw on my phone that a certain item was sold – I bought it for 500€ and sold it for 1,000€. This is an advantage that an offline boutique doesn’t bring.
11. What are your plans for your business’ growth in the near future?
My plan, for now, is to continue selling on marketplaces but also to establish my own website and to start selling there, aside from the marketplaces I mentioned.
This dropshipper’s story is yet to grow to its fullest potential, which is inspiring for everyone looking at dropshipping as a possibility to be their full-time or side business.
As our dropshipper mentioned – “Dropshipping is the future”, many of our success stories are proof of this statement, therefore don’t limit yourself to achieving more and get started today by registering at BrandsGateway.
About the Author
Kristina, Head of Content at BrandsGateway. Eternal inspiration: The Doors music and lyrics, Bernardo Bertolucci's timeless “Stealing Beauty”, and the dynamic and meditative Ashtanga Yoga.